Wednesday, August 17, 2011

ECSU: A Diamond in the Ruff

ECSU is a diamond in the ruff. Cliche, I know, but it is very true. Eastern Connecticut State University (ECSU) is in the heart of Willimantic, one of, if not the most economically poorest towns in Connecticut. It is also a smaller school, where last year's fall semester enrollment was 5,606 students. The average person in the United States has not really heard much about that school. When I talk to people outside of Connecticut, I can't just tell them, "I do ministry at Eastern," because they usually think of Eastern University, a Christian college in Pennsylvania. I usually tell them, "It is about a 10 minute drive from UConn." And they say, "Oh, okay," because mostly everyone knows about UConn.

ECSU is a public liberal arts school, the only one in Connecticut, that I know of. A liberal arts education basically requires you to not just take courses applicable to your major, but courses under a variety of other subjects including, but not limited to Mathematics, Science, Art, Music, Sociology, History, Business, and much more. It is designed to broaden people's horizons and perspectives of the world, which makes the overall environment at ECSU very exciting to work at.

ECSU is an environment of curiosity. When I led Bible Studies with students in the Student Center last year, students constantly came up to us asking, "Hey what are you guys doing?" Some would even sit in for a few minutes!

ECSU students crave relationships. Freshmen in particular are coming into this school and are looking to get connected in some way. Their high school status and clique are gone and it is a fresh, clean slate. For some it is exciting, for others it is a little terrifying. They desire to meet new friends. They desire to be accepted and to meet new people.

ECSU has exciting spiritual history. Many alumni of ECSU were part of a movement in Eastern CT called "The Burning Bush." Christian students there used to take busloads of other students to a farm the next town over to hear sermons and have Bible Studies. It was a very exciting time and many ECSU alumni from that time period remember The Burning Bush with fondness.

Many Christian alumni in my circles of friends also fondly remember their time at ECSU. They look back at those years where they too also found identity and purpose in Jesus Christ. It was a time when they too went through growth and have a myriad of great memories and close friendships.

ECSU has been a spiritual blessing for me. I became much more solid as a Christian because of my time at ECSU. I got plugged into the Christian club there and for the first time in my life found like-minded Christians my own age. Through it my faith in Jesus took off! It was at ECSU that I have memories such as having early morning Bible Studies at Hurley Hall (the dining hall), late night prayer walks around campus, witnessing opportunities with students and local Willimantic teens, and much more.

If it wasn't for ECSU, I would not be where I am today. It was there where I found the true meaning of accountability, fellowship, and even spiritual leadership. It is a true honor and blessing to now be able to bless other curious students for this coming year!

I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I'm Steve's Uncle and attended Eastern in the early 70's. the solid Christian communities there and especially the old "burning Bush" ministries, although I did not know it at the time shaped the faith I have today. Eastern's a place I remember fondly for many reasons!

    ReplyDelete