Saturday, June 30, 2012

Part 1: A Roman Jail Cell

Imagine for a moment that you're sitting in a Roman jail cell. It's dark and human feces is all that you smell. You're on trial and you have no idea what will happen tomorrow. You could either be released with no charges or beheaded. On top of that, you can't even get a moment alone in peace to reflect and pray about it because chained to you is a very scary looking and bitter Roman guard.

Wouldn't you feel afraid? Wouldn't you feel miserable? Wouldn't you feel hopeless? I mean it only makes sense, right?

That wasn't at all what this man named Paul was feeling as he was penning his letter to the Philippians. The opening line immediately said, "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy." (Phil. 1:3-4)

He later wrote, "Now I want you to know brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else, that I am in chains for Christ." (Phil. 1:12-13)

Then again he said, "Yes, and I will continue to rejoice...For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Phil. 1:18, 21).

Paul was making the most of his opportunity. Even though he was separated from dear friends who he loved so much and probably would not ever see again, he was remembering and praying for them with a smile on his face.

Even though he never had time alone with God and was chained to a bitter Roman guard 24 hours a day, he used that opportunity to talk to that guard about the true hope he had in Jesus. It then made sense at the end of the letter when he wrote, "All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar's household." (Phil. 4:22) People were coming to Christ because he was calling this illusion of a tragedy what it really was: an opportunity.

And even though he had no idea what tomorrow would bring, he was holding on with every fiber of his being to the reality: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I desire to depart and be with Christ, but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." (Phil. 1:21-24)

If he were to be released, it would not mean continual selfish indulgence in fleeting pleasures. It would mean fruitful labor for Jesus: continuing to do what God called him to do. If he were to be executed, it would mean seeing His beloved Savior face to face.

All that mattered to this smelly prisoner was Jesus. It wasn't the comfort of a warm bed, it wasn't great social status, it wasn't financial security, it was Jesus.

The deepest sorrow is not the sorrow of harsh circumstances, but the sorrow of not knowing and resting on the God of the Universe. Paul got that, and since he had Jesus to rest on, he was certainly not being in sorrow. He was saying, "Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance." (Phil. 1:19)

Stay tuned for Part 2....

No comments:

Post a Comment