Sunday, September 18, 2011

"The Whole Truth" by Da' T.R.U.T.H.

For those of you who don't know me well, I'm really into Christian hip-hop. When I first heard this song, I was extremely excited for Da' T.R.U.T.H. and his new album.

More than a year and a half ago, Truth was forced into a sabbatical because he had an affair with another woman. During that sabbatical he went through marital counseling, prayer, weeping, repentance and marital reconciliation. I wrote a reactionary blog post about it shortly after it happened here.

Roughly six months ago he made a formal announcement and apology to his fans and announced his return under a new label and a fresh desire to minister through music. This song was one of the first released from his album and the lead single off of it. In it he reflected on the massive storm of sorrow, heartache, repentance and healing God brought him through. The chorus says it all. May you be blessed by this song and may you be in continual awe of the lavished grace through Jesus Christ.


Chorus
When I was dead, He revived my soul.
He takes the broken, makes them whole,
Takes the bound, makes them free,
Takes the weak and makes them strong.
All of my sins have been erased,
He has lifted my disgrace.
I'm overjoyed, overjoyed, that Jesus would make me whole.

Verse 1
I ain't tryin to be hot, aint tryin to be relevant,
I aint a candle, I aint tryin to wax eloquent.
I'm running from a life now, trying to fight hard,
These ain't just lyrics but a contrite heart.
Yeah, feelin it like the heat in the summer,
We know better, but the flesh, it be keepin us running.
Bagged the leaks of onions? (had a hard time with this line)
As of recent discovered, if it's in the dark, it's impossible to keep secrets covered.

Who would have known that my indiscretions would reach my cousins?
I apologize to Mimi, my niece and others,
You should've been able to trust, but I breached the covenant,
I knew you all before you was able to reach the cupboard.
Now when I preached in public, it's all out the window,
'Cause sin contradicted a lot of what my pen wrote.
Yeah, especially when I wrote an Open Book,
Apparently there was something in me I overlooked...

Chorus

Verse 2
Uh, check my records, I got some prize like Harlem Knights,
I need Jesus, David's Son, like a Harley bike.
Wasn't hardly right, what I did was wrong,
And it ticks me off, and it sets me off.
And I hate the consequences 'cause death results,
But I know I reap what I sew like Betsy Ross.

Yeah, He ain't tipped me, but He let me fall,
Now I carry all that pain, sin left me scarred.
He let me fall, but He ain't let me go,
I died, went astray; sin left me broke,
Yeah, the life of me ain't no crystal stair,
But I's keep climbin' 'cause the diamond is crystal clear.
At times I'm quiet, I get a chair, sit and stare,
think about the ways that sin affected my fiscal year.
Yeah, a tide is turning now, I'm shifting gears,
Though I'm weak, He's given strength in the midst of tears.

Chorus

Verse 3
Uh, I felt dead and lonely, only God knows,
But Jesus came and breathed life on my dry bones.
I know a lot, knowing a lot's not wrong,
But now it's all about application like the iPhone.
Yeah, I got hangups like dial tones,
Yeah, but Jesus hung up and died so,
No condemnation, that's my consolation.
Am I still guilty? NOT A CONVERSATION!

Now I just want to proclaim it in the congregation,
God is good and Dr. Jesus got a lot of patience!
Yeah, I'm on the operating table, heart palpitating,
Look at what the potter's shaping!
Gotta thank The Body, cause y'all came behind me,
When my foot slipped and I sank in the valley.
'Cause something supernatural happen when the saints rally,
My true friends held me up like a bank robbery.

And that's foolproof, I can't even front like a gold tooth,
I hate what I had to go through,
but I love the fact that I got to know You,
so what you are witnessing now is The Whole Truth...

When I was dead, He revived my soul.
He takes the broken, makes them whole,
Takes the bound, makes them free,
Takes the weak and makes them strong.
All of my sins have been erased,
He has lifted my disgrace.
I'm overjoyed, overjoyed, that Jesus would make me whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment